This activity is intended to assist students in understanding how to interpret an use the geolical timelines used to describe the Earth's ancient pre-history. Before doing this exercise students should use the following on-line explorations to become more familiar with this concept.
To create a personal timeline you must first identify the events that have been most significant in your life up to now.
1. Fill in the first 3 columns for the 4 events shown. Do this to the nearest ˝ year.
2. Add at least one event that happened before kindergarten.
3. Add least one that was during your elementary school time.
4. Fill in the how old you were, how long ago it was, or what year it was.
Only use those events that you feel were important to avoid breaking down your timeline too much.
B. Make your own Personal Timeline
Fill in the chart on the following page. Use each row to represent 6 months.
1. The first column will represent the eras of your life such as Baby, Child, and Teenager.
2. Those could be further divided into periods such as Crawlerean, Preschoolean, Toddlerean, Kidergarterian, Elementarean, and MidSchooleran and represented in the second column.
3. The final column should contain your epochs which would break the periods down to smaller chunks.
4. Shade in the eras, periods, and epochs and label them with an appropriate name.
____________________’s Personal Timeline
Ivan’s Personal Timeline
Ivan is 14 and in the 9th Grade
D. Using intervals to describe time
Scientists use intervals to describe when, and for how long, events occurred in the past. From Ivan’s chart we can see that he began riding a BMX bicycle during the second half of his Protoliterate period. This was in the first part of the Elementarean era.
Answer the following questions using the example above as a model of how to describe what part of Ivan’s life is being considered.
1. In what era did Ivan learn to talk? ________________
2. Using eras, describe when Ivan was still using training wheels.
3. What epochs were included in his Protoliterate period?
4. The Minibike epoch was during his _______ Elementarean era.
5. Did he become fully literate in middle school? YES --or-- NO
6. What do the prefixes pre, mid, proto, trans, and semi mean? Use one word for each.
pre =_________, mid= _______, proto=________,
7. How long was his semiliterate period?
8. How long was the Middle BMX epoch?